Sports across Japan
Interest in sports in Japan is massive. Approximately 75 percent of the population in Japan watched the Olympics. Over 70 percent of Japanese people are involved in sports in some way.
This means that the Japan International Sports Partnership has a strategic opportunity and potential to use sports to connect with tens of millions of Japanese people who have little or nothing to do with the church.
- Pray that the church in Japan will realize the value of sports and use it to connect with their local communities.
- Pray that JiSP will be able to inspire, train, and equip Christians to use sports strategically.
- Pray that Christians in Japan will invest more in discipling and mentoring Christian athletes involved in Olympic and Paralympic sports.
- Pray for Christians playing sports at all levels throughout Japan to have boldness and wisdom in sharing the gospel with their teammates.
- Pray for more Christian coaches and athletes in Japan to be equipped with an influence for Christ.
Church Planting and Renewal
There are about 8,000 Protestant churches in Japan. About 1,000 of them do not have a pastor, and most churches have aging congregations.
The current number of churches equals out to about one church for every 16,000 people in Japan. It’s estimated that more than 50,000 churches are needed to truly reach every community.
- There is a need for renewed worship, fellowship, and outreach in many existing churches. Pray for the Holy Spirit’s life-giving ministry. May church members seek and love God with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength. May churches receive from God all that they ask for in Jesus’ name!
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to lead church planters to specific areas in Japan that need a church. Pray for God to provide the people, vision, faith, and resources necessary for new churches.